16 Days with Mark: Chapter 14
As we round out the last chapters of the Gospel of Mark, we take a slightly different approach. Today, read Mark 14 as one narrative. Place yourself in each scene... watch the events of Jesus' last days unfold before you.
Gospel of Mark: Day 14
The Conspiracy to Kill Jesus
The Anointing at Bethany
Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus
The Passover with the Disciples
The Institution of the Last Supper
Peter's Denial Foretold
Jesus Prays in Gethsemane
The Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus
Jesus Before the Council
Peter Denies Jesus
Journaling Questions for Reflection
Read Mark 13:3-9 from the perspective of the woman. What was she thinking? What did it feel like to anoint Jesus? What criticism did she receive? When have I been brave like this woman? When have I been like her critics? How can I anoint Jesus today?
Read Mark 13:10-25 from the perspective of Judas. What was he thinking? What did it feel like to betray Jesus? What hesitations may he have had? When have I been Judas? What could have stopped me from betraying Jesus?
Read Mark 13:26-72 from the perspective of Peter. What was he thinking? What did it feel like to be beside Jesus for the Last Supper, Garden of Gethsemane, and Arrest? When have I stayed asleep? When have I denied Jesus?
How did approaching scripture this way change my prayer? What chapters of Mark might I return to and try this method of reflection?
Day 14 Challenge:
End the day with an Examen. Follow these steps:
(1) Put yourself in God's presence. Become aware of His love.
(2) When today have I shown gratitude like the woman in verses 3-9? Show that gratitude now.
(3) When have I felt angry like Judas or scared like Peter? What other emotions did I experience today? Examine your feelings.
(4) Where did I betray or deny Jesus today? Express repentance.
(5) How can I do better tomorrow? Make a resolution.